Titile & Description
The Khorana Program for Scholars is a tripartite arrangement between the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, WINStep Forward, and the Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF). The Program provides
opportunities to Indian students to undertake research internships at premier U.S. Universities each summer for a period of 10-12 weeks.
Objectives of the Khorana Program
The broad objectives of the program are:
Providing an opportunity to Indian students to gain exposure and access to world class research facilities;
Promoting research and capacity building in biotechnology and allied areas through Indo-U.S. cooperation;
Encouraging post-graduate students to take up research as a career, and
Paving the way for the next generation scientists and technologists from India to interact with their American counterparts towards building long-term sustainable R & D linkages and collaborations.
Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India,
Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF).
1. Indian citizens currently enrolled in a recognized Institution of Higher Education in India.
2. Pre-final year students enrolled in B.Tech., M. Tech., MSc., B.E., M.E., M.S., Integrated B.SM.S., B.Sc., B.V.Sc., M.V.Sc., B. Pharm., M. Pharm., MBBS., and Master in Medical Science
and Technology (MMST) at recognized institutions of higher education in India in Biotechnology and allied areas (including agricultural, food, health, biomedical sciences and interdisciplinary areas like Computational Sciences, Big Data, Machine Learning etc.) are eligibleto apply.
3. Only those candidates who have a minimum of one year remaining for the completion of their course in India are eligible to apply [for e.g. for the 2020 Call, Only those candidates who
shall be completing their degree program on or after May 2021 are eligible to apply (preferably pre-final year students)]. First Year, Final Year and Ph.D. students are NOT
eligible to apply.
4. The applicant should have:
Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 8.0 or higher, OR,
Percentage: 80% and higher.
Minimum 65% and higher if the applicant is an MBBS student.
Benefits of scholarship/Award/
The support provided to under the Khorana Program comprises of:
(i) Round-trip airfare
(iii) Health insurance.
- Please register on the IUSSTF Online Application Portal for Visitation Programs at http://188.8.131.52/visitation-program-for-indian-applicants.aspx
- Verify your account using the link sent to your registered email id.
- Please check your spam/junk folders in case you do not receive mails from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the online application and upload scanned copies of latest marksheet,
- No-Objection Certificate & Two Letters of Recommendation.
- Supporting documents should be provided strictly according to the check-list mentioned in the application form.
- Candidates are advised to go through all the program information/instructions
- carefully before submitting the application
- Hard copies of the application form/supporting documents ARE NOT required.
Documents required to apply for Scholarship
- Candidates are encouraged to fill out the online application and upload scanned copies of latest marksheet/transcript, No-Objection Certificate & Letters of Recommendation.
- Supporting documents should be provided strictly according to the check-list mentioned in the
application form. Please DO NOT attach Class X/Class XII marksheets.
- Recommendation letters can be sent along with the application form or if referees wish to provide a confidential recommendation, they may send it directly to email@example.com
with Applicant’s full name in the subject line.
- Hard copies of the application form/supporting documents are not required.
- If you do not have a passport and have applied for it, choose “Applied for” in the passport details section of the Application form.
- Applications in subject-fields other than those specified in the advertisement will not be
Last Date: 31 Oct 2019
Q. Are expenses like accommodation costs, Visa Fees, and Tuition/Bench Fees not covered under the Program support?
Ans. No. The Scholar would need to cover Accommodation costs, Visa Fees, andTuition/Bench Fees on his/her own. The host institution (or the faculty host) may
help cover the costs of housing for the duration of the fellowship and/or waive (or
cover) any tuition or bench fees.
Q. What is the duration of these internships? Are they extendable?
Scholars can undertake these internships for 10-12 weeks each summer tentatively from mid-May to end-July. Alterations/extensions in internship dates/period may be
done in consultation with parent institution and host institution.
Q.Do I need to book my own tickets?
The international tickets by economy excursion class and shortest route (from
student’s parent institution to U.S. Host Institution & back) will be booked by IUSSTF