BOYSCAST Fellowship by Department of Science & Technology (DST) in the field of Science and Technology
Better Opportunities for Young Scientists in Chosen Areas of Science and Technology (BOYSCAST) Fellowships are awarded to Indian Nationals for conducting advance research in chosen frontline areas of science & technology. The candidates should themselves correspond with the research institution abroad for their placement. Institution which are to be visited should be recognized and outstanding institutions where major developments in chosen areas are in progress. Rules governing payment of salary, seniority, leave, medical benefits, gratuity, GPF and pensions etc. of the institution to which a fellow belongs would continue to be applicable. However, no liability under these rules will be borne by DST. Medical Insurance expenses will be met by the fellow out of the maintenance allowance. The candidates selected for the award of BOYSCAST Fellowship should commence their research/training before the end of the financial year in which the award is given. Failure to do so would render them forfeit the award. Every selected BOYSCAST Fellow shall be required to execute a bond as per the rules of the parent institute before proceeding on fellowship and shall also be required to submit a service bond to serve in India for at least three years after return to India. If the fellow does not return to India or get a job opportunity overseas on completion of the fellowship, he/she will be required to reimburse the whole of the expenditure incurred on him/her during the fellowship period.
Department of Science & Technology (DST) Government of India
- a) Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent to M.D. in Medicine/Ph. D in Science/Technology or equivalent.
- b) The candidate should hold regular position in recognized Science and Technology Institution and should be actively engaged in research in the relevant area. 142
- c) An Institution abroad should have expressed its willingness to accept the applicant on a BOYSCAST Fellowship for training/ research based on their proposed research work plan, past research experience and publication record indicating, period of stay necessary to complete the work.
- d) Candidates must be officially sponsored (their applications to be formally forwarded) by their employer/head of the institution or agency with the commitment to depute them for research/training under BOYSCAST scheme.
Benefits of scholarship/Award
- The fellow will be entitled to the fellowship amount of US $ 2400 (or equivalent in other foreign currency) per month up to six months and US $ 2000 (or equivalent in other foreign currency) per month from the 7th month onwards with maximum duration of fellowship being 12 months. The institution to which the candidate belongs would be responsible for necessary foreign exchange arrangements.
- Fellow will also be entitled to a personal contingent grant of Rs.15,000/– if the fellowship duration is upto six months and Rs.20,000/- if the fellowship duration is more than six months.
- Fellow will also be permitted to travel within host country to attend conferences or visit other institutes of interest with the approval of the Guide at the host institute and as per DST rules. The Fellow will be entitled to a grant of US $ 600 (or equivalent in other foreign currency) for duration upto six months and US $ 1200 (or equivalent in other foreign currency) for duration beyond six months for this purpose.
- Application for the award of BOYSCAST Fellowship should be sent in the prescribed format.
- Fifteen copies of the application are to be submitted.
- Application is required to be forwarded through the head of agency/organization/ university where the applicant is employed.
- SC/ST/ OBC candidates should attach an attested copy of the category to which they belong.
- A self addressed stamped postcard may accompany for acknowledgement.
What about Age Limit?
SERC Division (BOYSCAST Programme)
Department of Science & Technology
Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road
New Delhi – 110016, Delhi
For more details: click here