Call For Proposal – Student Startup NIDHI Award-2018 by DST, New Delhi
Last Date: 28/2/18
Q1. What is NewGen IEDC?
New Generation Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (NewGen
IEDC) is the programme launched by National Science and Technology
Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), Department of Science &
Technology (DST), Government of India.
NewGen IEDC will aim to inculcate the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship
amongst the young S&T students, encourage and support start-up creation through
guidance, mentorship and support. The programme will be implemented in academic
institutions. Students will be encouraged to take up innovative projects with
possibility of commercialization.
Objectives of NewGen IEDC:
1. To channelize the knowledge and the energy of youth towards becoming
active partners in the economic development process
2. To catalyze and promote development of knowledge-based and innovationdriven
enterprises and promote employment opportunities amongst youth
3. To inculcate a culture of innovation driven entrepreneurship
4. To act as an institutional mechanism for providing various services including
information on all aspects of enterprise building to budding S&T
Salient features of NewGen IEDC:
1. It is a five-year programme to be implemented in an educational institution
2. A maximum of twenty new projects would be supported in a year
3. The projects should be students’ projects with a high degree of innovation and
4. As far as possible, the projects may be multi-disciplinary in nature and should
be executed by teams consisting of students drawn from various levels
5. The projects should also have a high degree of commercial viability to lead to
possible startup by students.
Functions of NewGen IEDC:
1. To motivate, support and mentor students for identification, development and
commercialization of their innovative ideas
2. To initiate targeted number of innovative student projects each year for new
3. To organize Business Plan Competitions/Innovation Camps/ Hackathons with
active involvement of industry and alumni
4. To guide and assist prospective entrepreneurs on various aspects such as
preparing project reports, obtaining project approvals, loans and facilities from
agencies of support system, information on technologies, etc.
5. To arrange interaction with entrepreneurs, bankers, professionals, potential
customers and create a mentorship scheme for student innovators
6. To facilitate creation of entrepreneur’s club / E-Cells in the college to foster
culture of entrepreneurship amongst students
Q2. What are the criteria for selection of NewGen IEDC?
1. The institution should be a University/Deemed University or a premier
Institute/College offering Engineering, Technology, Science courses at degree
level or above for at least 5 years. In case of a college/institute, it should be
duly recognized, affiliated, and while in case of the private institutions, it
should be promoted by a Trust or a Society registered under relevant Acts
besides being recognized/affiliated to AICTE/Universities.
2. Qualified and dedicated faculty in various disciplines with a good Research &
Development base and background in industry related activities should be
3. Availability of two faculty trained in Entrepreneurship through DST sponsored
Faculty Development Programme.
4. Minimum dedicated space of about 5000 square feet for housing the NewGen
IEDC with the availability of utilities like electricity, water, telephone
installation and internet connectivity.
5. Availability of workshops, laboratories and computational facilities
6. Library with a good collection of books and journals
7. Experience in Entrepreneurship Development and Promotion and Industry
related activities such as Consultancy, Product Development, Testing,
Q3. What is the functioning/Status of the NewGen IEDC:
1. The NewGen IEDC should maintain separate books of account and a savings
bank account for the NewGen IEDC. It should function as a prominent Central
Facility of the Host Institution and not as a facility for a particular Department
of the parent institution.
2. The NewGen IEDC should enjoy flexible administrative and financial status for
ensuring effective and speedy implementation of the programmes and
3. It should have effective linkages with different Departments, Centres and
other facilities of the institution to spread entrepreneurial culture for optimal
utilization of the expertise, resources and know-how available. It should
network with other agencies involved in entrepreneurship development.
Q4. Who are the partners in The NewGen IEDC?
The project NewGen IEDC is supported by National Science & Technology
Entrepreneurship Development (NSTEDB), Department of Science & Technology
(DST), and implemented by Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII),
Q5. How can an institute apply for NewGen IEDC?
Interested institutions can visit Announcement Section on www.newgeniedc-edii.in.
Q6. What is the funding support provided under The NewGen IEDC?
The Host Institution shall submit the proposal for setting up of an NewGen IEDC as
per the proforma to EDII, Ahmedabad. The financial assistance to the selected
institution for establishment of NewGen IEDC, towards its non-recurring (as one time
establishment cost) and recurring expenditure (Project Development Cost, Travel,
Training and Contingencies, etc.) up to five full operational years would be provided.
However, the financial assistance would be available in the project mode on a year-
to-year basis, based on successful implementation of the NewGen IEDC project and
review by the National Experts Advisory Committee.
The NSTEDB will provide limited onetime non-recurring financial assistance, up to a
maximum of Rs. 25.00 lakhs. The non-recurring grants would be provided for the
establishment cost, furnishing of cubicles for start-ups, purchase of PC with printers,
UPS, library books, journals, laptop, multimedia projector, office communication
equipment and other equipment like 3D printers, prototyping equipment/software and
shared equipment. The grants should NOT be used for funding purchase of land and
The host institution should provide the support of two members of the faculty, trained
in entrepreneurship development through DST sponsored Faculty Development
Programme (FDP) in entrepreneurship development, 5000 sq.ft of dedicated space,
a counseling/meeting room, office furniture, facility of conference hall/ auditorium,
telephone and internet connection etc.
For more detail: Click Here