Biological Source :-
Cod liver oil is processed from fresh liver oil of cod fish godus morrhua and other species of godus
Family :- Gadidae
Geographical Source :-
It is mainly found in Scotland, Norway, Germany, Iceland, and Denmark.
The liver is cleaned and minced into small pieces and heated to 80°C in a vat by admitting steam for half an hour. The enzyme lipase is destroyed at temperature above 70°C. The oil is removed and put in tin drums which are encased with wooden barrels. The barrels are kept inside the snow and the oil is cooled to -2 to -5°C, the slow cooling process precipitates the palmitin, which is separated by filtration. The oil obtained is medicinal oil. The residual cake formed after the medicinal oil is subjected to heating at higher temperature to obtain oil with inferior quality and brown colour.
Chemical Constitution :-
- Glycerides esters of sat.acid of linoleic acid, oleic acid, myristic acid, Palmitic acid,Vit.A,VitD
- Unsaponified matter (1%)
- Cholesterol and squalene
- Fatty alcohol
- Elcosapentaenoic acid (7%)+ Docesahexanoic acid (7%) = Omega-3-fatty acid
- Source of vitamin
- As nutritive
- Treatment of Rickets and T.B.
Physical Property of oil :-
- Pale yellow thin Liquid with slightly fishy taste and Odour.
- Specific gravity:- 0.922–0.929
- Refractive index:- 1.475–1.4745
- Iodine value :- 155-173
- Acid Value :- less than 2
1. Which oil is use in treatment of T.B ?
A. Shark liver oil
B. Cod liver oil
C. Linseed Oil
2. Cod liver oil is belong to family
3. Which of the following is rich source of vitamin A and Vitamin D?
A. Neem Oil
B. Linseed Oil
C. Cod liver oil
D. Eucalyptus oil
4. Which of the following is not Property of cod liver oil ?
A. It has pale yellow colour.
B. It is thick Liquid.
C. It is fishy taste.
D. It is NMT 8 acid value
5. Which of the following is not use of cod liver oil ?
A.Source of vitamin.
C.Treatment of Rickets and T.B.
D. As lubricants
6. What is refractive index of cod liver oil ?
7. Which of the following sentences is false about cod delivery oil ?
A. It is mainly found in Norway.
B. The liver is cleaned and minced into small pieces and heated to 80°C in a vat by admitting steam for half an hour.
C. It has 180-190 iodine value.
D. It is belong to family Gadidae.
8. Match of the following
i specific gravity A. 1.475-1.4745
ii Acid Value B. 155-173
iii Iodine value. C. NMT 2
iv Refractive Index. D. 0.922-0.927
A. i→C, ii→A, iii→B, iv→D
B.i→B, ii→A, iii→C, iv→D
C.i→D, ii→C, iii→B, iv→A
D.i→C, ii→D, iii→B, iv→A
9. What is iodine value of cod liver oil?
10. How many percentage of Unsaponified matter present in cod liver oil ?
16 edition of trease and evans Pharmacognosy ( pg.no.359)
This information is taken only for education purpose.