Yellow Sandal Wood, Santali Lignum.
Botanical Source :-
Sandalwood consists of the heartwood of the stems and roots of Santalum album Linn., an evergreen small tree of the family Santalaceae.
Geographical Source :-
The plant is widely distributed in India and is cultivated under Government control in Southern India.
Macroscopical Characters of sandal wood oil :-
|Optical Rotation||15 to -20|
|Solubility||Slightly soluble in water
Soluble in alcohol
Chemical Constituents :-
- Sandalwood contains 2 to 5 percent of volatile oil, which contains 90 to 97 percent of sesquiterpene alcohols, called santalols.
- Sandalwood oil contain 95 % two isomeric.
- Sesquiterpene alcohol, α- santalol and B- santalol.
- An aldehyde santalol C15H22O, santene, santenone
The wood is used as a source of Sandalwood oil, which is a stimulant and disinfectant of the genito-urinary tract. It is also used in perfumery. The wood is also used to make boxes, carvings and similar articles.
Substitutes and Varieties:-
- West Indian Sandalwood from Amyris balsamifera (Fam. Rutaceae),
- Australian Sandalwood from Eucarya spicata and Santalum pressianum (Fam. Santalaceae)
- Fiji Sandalwood from Santalum freycinetianum (Fam. Santalaceae) are substitutes and varieties of Sandalwood.
1. Sandalwood belong to family
2. Which of the following is synonymous of sandal wood ?
A. Santali Lignum
B. Green wood
C. Iron Wood
D. Grey Wood
3. Which of the following is varieties of Sandal wood ?
A. Amyris balsamifera
B. Australian Sandalwood
D. All of the above
4. Which of the following is not use of Sandal wood ?
D. genito-urinary tract.
5. Which method is use for isolation of sandal wood oil ?
A. Gas chromatography
B. Soxhelt Apparatus
C. Steam Distillation
D. None of the above
6. Which of the following is formula of santalol ?
A. C15 H22 O
B. C14 H21 O
C. C13 H22 O
D. C15 H21 O
7. Which of the following is not characteristics of Sandal wood ?
A. It oil has pale yellow colour.
B. It is soluble in water.
C. It has refractive index 1.5-1.510.
D. It has pleasant smile.
8. What is specific gravity of sandal wood oil ?
9. Which of the following is major chemical constituents of Sandal wood?
D. None of the above
10. What is Optical Rotation of sandal wood oil ?
A.-15 to -20
B.-15 to +20
C.15 to 20
D. 15 to -20
16 Edition of Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy Text Book ( Pg. No. :-297 )
This information is taken only for education purpose.