Cortex limonis, Fructus Limonis
Biological Source :-
Lemon peel is consists of dried outer part of pericarp of citrus limonis and citrus medica.
Family :- Rutaceae
Geographical Source :-
- It is indigenous to North India but cultivated on a very large scale in countries like Spain, Italy and California.
- In india it is cultivated in uttar pradesh, Maharashtra, m.p., punjab.
Colour :- Fresh lemon peel has outer surface is bright greenish yellow colour and internally White.
Odour :- Strong, Fragrant, Aromatic and Characteristics
Taste :- Aromatic and Bitter
Size :- Even though the fruit are oblong ovoid of about 5 to 12 cm in length. The peel are irregular in shape and are found in the form of strips or pieces.
Fracture :- Short in dried lemon peel.
Chemical Constitution :-
- Limonene (90%)
- Citral (4%)
- Vitamin C
- Calcium oxalate Crystal
Lemon Oil Standards :-
Specific gravity :- 0.849 to 0.855
Optical Rotation :- +57 to +65
Refractive Index :- 1.4742 to 1.4755
- Oil is used as perfuming and flavouring agent
- Extraction of pectin and volatile oil.
The peels which have been rejected by machines after drying are mixed with the drug. They can be identified by the presence of scarification lines on the outer surface of the peels.
MCQ OF LEMON PEEL FROM GPAT / NIPER/ DRUG INSPECTOR/ OTHER PHARMACEUTICAL COMPETITIVE EXAM
1. Cortex limonis is synonym of
A. Orange Grass
B. Lemon peel
C. Lemon Grass
D. Orange Peel
2. Lemon peel is belong to family
3. Which of the following sentences is false about lemon peel ?
A. Lemon peel outer surface colour is greenish yellow.
B. Lemon peel has aromatic odour.
C. Lemon peel inner surface colour is white.
D.Citral has main Chemical Constitution of lemon peel.
4. Which Chemical Constitution is present in lemon peel bit not present in orange peel ?
D. Calcium oxalate Crystal
5. Which of the following is not use of lemon peel?
C. Extraction of pectin
6. What is refractive index of lemon oil ?
A.1.4737 to 1.4742
B. 1.4740 to 1.4745
C. 1.4742 to 1.4755
D.1.4735 to 1.4749
7. Which sentence is false about lemon peel ?
A. Lemon peel is cultivated in sri lanka.
B. Lemon peel is widel cultivated in California.
C. Lemon peel is belong to family Rutaceae
D. Lemon peel is cultivated in Italy.
8. In india lemon peel is cultivated
D. All of the above
9. Match the following
i Optical Rotation A 0.849 to 0.855
ii Refractive Index B 57 to 65
iii Specific Gravity C 1.4742 to 1.4755
(A) i⇒ C ii ⇒A iii⇒ B
(B)i⇒ C ii ⇒A iii⇒ B
(C)i⇒ B ii ⇒C iii⇒ A
(D)i⇒ C ii ⇒B iii⇒ A
10. Lemon peel has 8% citral.
Answer key :-
16 edition of trease and evans Pharmacognosy Text Book ( pg.no. 276)
Phytochemical characteristics of citrus peel and effect of conventional and nonconventional processing on phenolic compounds: A review
This information take only education purpose.