MCQ OF GATE 2008
1.In NMR spectrometry the chemical shift is expressed in
a. Parts per million
2. In chromatographic separation the different species in the sample undergo the process of
3. A target material used in the production of x ray is
4. A mass spectrum is obtained by plotting
a.molecular weight vs peak height
b. concentration vs peak height
c. concentration vs degree of deflection of ions
d. Abundance of ions vs their m/e ratio
5. Aldehyde can be distingushed from other C=O containing compound by IR due to
a. the low frequency of adsorption of aldehydes
b. the alkyl or group is attached to C=O
c. the double bond is present
d. the doublet at the C-H strecthing region
6. Two reference electrodes are
P. glass membrane electrodes
Q. Sb/Sb2O3 electrodes
R. Calomel electrodes
S. silvar / silvar chloride electrodes
7. Polarography can be used for the
P. simultaneous determination of several analytes
Q. study of resistance of solution
R.study of current potential relation ship
S. study of optical activity of organic compound
8. Primary amine shows
p. two N-H stretching bands in the range of 3500-3300cm¯
q. only one band in the region 3500-3300 cm¯
r. -NH band in primary amine result in a broad band in the region 1640-1560 cm¯¹
s. the typical -NH2 strecthing value at 1715 cm¯
• As per the wood ward fischer rule the absorption maxima of the compound shown is calculated from the base value and the ring residue valoues
9. Base value is
b. 233 nm
c. 240 nm
d. 217 nm
10. absorption maximum is
b. 258 nm
c. 265 nm
d. 237 nm
11. The B.P. assay of nifedipine is by a titration of a
a. Solution in anhydrous acetic acid with 0.1 perchloric acid
b. solution in previously neutralized acetone with 0.1N sodium hydroxide end point by potentiometry
c. solution is previously neutralized acetone against standard potassium dichromate solution
d. A solution in 2-methyl 2 propanol and perchloric acid with 0.1 M cerium sulphate using ferroin as indicator.
MCQ ANSWER KEY
MCQ OF GATE 2009
1. A substance used for modification of silica gel for reversed phase TLC is
2. In IR spectrum the functional group region is form
a. 4000cm¯¹ to 900 cm¯¹
b. 4000 cm¯¹ to 1400cm¯¹
c.1400 cm¯¹ to 900cm¯¹
d.40000cm¯¹ to 660 cm¯¹
3. The equation E=E°+ RT/nF In aM is used to measure the
b. potential difference
4. The deflection of positive ions formed in a mass spectrometery by electric and magnetic field depends upon its
d. mass, charge, velocity
5. Cyclohexane can be used as a solvent in UV spectrophotometric analysis because
a. It has a ring structure
b. Energy requirement for σ→σ∗ is in the range of 120-200 nm
c. it is volatile.
d. it is immiscible with water.
6. In the design of captopril the
a.-COOH group is introduced in proline to enhance the binding capabilitry at the receptor site
b. -SH group is introduced to enhance the binding capability of the drug with cobalt ion of ACE
c.-SH group is introduced to enhance the binding to the zinc ions of ACE
d.-COOH and – SH groups to introduce hydrophilic pocket at the receptor site
7. Captopril IP is assayed by titration
a. Against 0.1 N sodium hydroxide using phenolphthalein indicator.
b. of a solution in dimethylformamide with 0.1M of tetrabutyl ammonium hydroxide.
c. of a solution in anhydrous formic acid and acetic acid anhydride with 0.1 N perchloric acid.
d. of a solution containing 1.8M sulphuric acid and potassium iodide with 0.025 M potassium iodate using starch solution.
ANSWER KEY OF GATE 2009
MCQ OF Gpat 2010
1. In organic molecules fluorescence seldom result from absorption of uv radiation of wave length lower than
c. 300 nm
d. 250 nm
2. Glass transition temp. is detected through
a. X ray diffractometry
b. solution calorimetry
c.differential scanning calorimetry
d. thermogravimetric analysis
3. In gas liquid chromatography some of the samples need to be derivatized in order to increase their
c. thermal conductivity
4. Indicate the HPLC detector that is most sensitive to change in temp.
a. PDA detector
b. Refractive index detector
c. Electrochemical detector
d. Fluorescence detector
5. A compound will be sensitive toward IR only when one of the following properties undergo transition on
b. Dielectric constant
c. Dipole moment
6. X ray crystallographic analysis of an optically active compound determine is
a. optical rotatory dispersive power
b. absolute configuration
c. relative configuration
d. optical purity
7. Purity of water can be assessed by determining one of its following properties instrumentally
ANSWER KEY OF GPAT 2010
MCQ OF Gpat 2011
1.the peak at m/z 91 in the mass spectrum for alkyl benzenes is due to which one of the following
a. Alpha fission
b. Retro diels-alder rearrangements
c. Mc laffartey rearrangement
d. Trophylium ion formation
2. A 250 kg/ml solution of a drug gave an absorbance of 0.500 at 250 nm at a path length of 10 mm. what is the specific absorbance of the drug at 250 nm ?
a. 0.002 cm¯ gm¯ 1 litre
b. 0.002 cm¯gm¯dl
c.20 cm¯ gm¯ litre
d. 20 cm ¯gm ¯dl
3. which one is an example of a bulk property detector used in HPLC ?
a. fluorescene detector
b. photo diode array detector
c. Refractive index detector
d. uv detector
4. which of the following statements is wrong ?
a. The energy required for removing an electron from a molecules varies in the given order : ione pair ‹ conjugated n‹ non conjugated n
b. Isotopic ratio is particular useful for the detection and estimation of number of S,CL and Br atoms in the compound in MS
c. Neutral fragment and molecules do not get detected in the detector in MS
d. The most intense peak in the MS is called the molecular ion peak.
5. Given are the four statements about NMR:
P. 13CMR is a less sensitive technique than NMR
Q. Both 13C and H have =1/2
R. Precessional frequency of the nucleus is directly proportional to the applied magnetic field
S. Deuterium exchange studies can be performed to ascertain protons attached to heteroatoms.
Choose the correct combination of statements
a. P,Q&R are true while S is false
b. R,S&Q are true while P is flase
c. S,P & Q are true while R is flase
d. all are the true
6. All of the given compound shows n∗ transition identify which one will have the highest λmax?
c. methyl iodide
d. methyl bromide
7. what is the wave number equivalent of 400 nm wavelength ?
c. 2500 cm
8.which amongest the following auxochrome produced a shift toward higher energy wave length ?
9. Discrepancies in potential measurement involving factor like alkaline error and asymmetry potential are associated with which of the following electrodes ?
a. hydrogen electrode
b. quinhydrone electrode
c. saturated calomal
d. glass electrode
10. Polyamine polystyrene resins belong to which category of ion exchange resins ?
a. Strongly acidic cation exchange resins
b. Strongly basic anion exchange resins
c. weakly acidic cation exchange resins
d. weakly basic anion exchange resins
11. In FT-IR instruments michaelson interferometer is used in place of grating. the function of the interferometer is to act as a modulator what do you understand by this statements ?
a. the function of the interferometer is to act as a monochromator.
b. the function of the interferometer is to convert high frequency radiation into low ones
c. the function of the interferometer is to convert low frequency radiation into high frequency
d. the function of the interferometer is to convert frequency domain spectra into time domain spectra.
12. which of the following statements is true ?
a. Aliphatic protons have chemical shifts › 7 ppm
b. spin quantum number of protons is 1
c. chemical shifts describes electronic enviroment of a prton
d. vicinal coupling constant is always higher than geminal coupling constant
13. Fajan method of titrimetric analysis involves detection of the end point on the basis of which one of the following
a. colour change
b. Appearance of a precipitate
c. neutralization reaction
d. adsorption phenomenon
14. which one of the give compounds can be used as primary standard for standardization of perchloric acid solution in non-aqueous titration ?
a. Potassium hydrogen phthalate
b. sodium bicarbonatec.
c.potassium dihydrogen phosphate
d. sodium methoxide
15. In context of complexometry the two terms labile and inert complexes are used freqently choose the correct statements about them ?
a. labile complexes are formed instantly while inert complexes take hours or day in their formation.
b. labile complexes take much longer time in formation than inert complexes
c. labile complexes get hydrolyzed in water immediately while inert complexes are stable in water.
d. Labile complexes get decomposed on mild heating in aqueous solutions while inert complexes do not decompose.
16. Indicators used in complexometric titrations are chelating agents. choose the correct statement about them
a. indicator metal ion complex should have higher stability than EDTA -Metal ion complex.
b. indicator metal ion complex should have lower stability than EDTA- Metal ion complex.
c. Indicator metal ion complex should have equal stability as EDTA Metal ion complex
d. Stability of the indicator metal ion complexe is not an important criterion in complexometric titration.
17. In colorimetric estimation of a drug the following sequence of reaction is carried out treatment of the aqueous solution of the drug with sodium nitrite solution in acidic medium followed by addition of sulphamic acid and then treatment with n-(l-naphthyl) ethylene-diamine in slight basic medium to obtained a pink colour which is measured at a fixed wavelength to correlate the quantity of the drug with the optical density. identify the drug under estimation
a. streptomycin sulphate
b. thiamine hydrochloride
18. Name the compound used for standardization of karl – fischer reagent in aquametry?
a. sodium tartrate dihydrate
b. copper sulphate pentahydrate
d. sodium thiosulphate
19. In the electrochemical series the standard reduction potentials of copper and zinc are +0.337v and -0.763v respectively. if the half cell of both of these metals are connected externally to each other through an external circuit and a salt bridge which one of the following processes will take place ?
a. Zinc metal electrode will start dissolving in solution while copper ions will start depositing on the copper electrode
b. copper metal electrode will start dissolving in solution while zinc ions will start depositing on the zinc electrodes
c. both of the metal electrodes will start dissolving in the solution.
d. both type of ions will start depositing on their respective electrodes.
20. In polargraphy DME has a number of advantages. one of the advantages is that mercury has large hydrogen over potential. it means which one of the followings ?
a. Hydrogen ions get easily reduced on the DEM
b. Hydrogen gas get easily reduced on the DEM
c. Hydrogen ions require high potential to be reduced at DEM
d. water is diffcult to get oxidized at DEM
21. following are the desirable properties of the liquid phase used in GLC EXCEPT for one of the following identify that
a. It should be inert to the analyte
b. it should have high viscosity at operating temp.
c.it should have low vapour pressure at the operating temp.
d. it should have a high resolving power
22. In HPLC analysis what type of column would you prefer
a. A column with high HETP and high number of plate
b. A column with low HETP and low number of plate
c. A column with high HETP and low number of plates
d. A column with low HETP and high number of plates
ANSWER KEY OF GPAT 2011