Myristica, Nux moschata
Biological Source :-
It consists of dried kernels of seed of myristica fragrans houtt
Cultivation and Collection :-
- Are grown from fresh seeds
- Germinated in 5 weeks
- Transplanted at 6 months old plant
- Obtained fruit from 8-9 year
- To mature for about 20-30 year
- Fruit is like peach
- When ripe expose the seed with its lobed red arillus 2 or 3 caps are collected annual.
Macroscopic Characteristics :-
- Colour is greenish brown or brown
- Odour is aromatic
- Taste is pungent and aromatic
- Size is 20 to 30 mm in length and 20 mm
- Shape is Ellipsodial
Chemical Constitution :-
- It contain 5 to 16 of volatile oil and 30 percentage fat.
- Volatile oil contain 4 to 8 % myristicin, elimicin and saffrole.
- Fatty acid consists of fixed oil are myristic (60%), oleoic acid, lauric acid and other acids.
Uses of nutmeg :-
- Flavouring agent
- Used in soap industry
- Myristica malbarica
- Myristica argentea
- Myristica beddomei
- Myristica attenuata
1. Which of the following herb is use in soap industry ?
2. Which of the following is major Constituents of nutmeg ?
A. Palmitic acid
B. Oleoic acid
C. Lauric acid
3. Which of the following sentences is false about nutmeg ?
A. It contain 5 to 16 percentage of volatile oil.
B. It is germinated in 7 week
C. It is belong to family myristicaceae.
D. It consists of dried kernels of seed of myristica fragrans houtt.
4. What is the length of nutmeg ?
A. 20 to 30 mm
B. 30 to 40 mm
C. 50 to 60mm
D. 10 to 20mm
5. Which of the following is not a source of adulteration of nutmeg ?
6. Which of the following is true sentence about nutmeg?
A. Nutmeg has 30-50 volatile oil.
B. Nutmeg has oval shape.
C. Nutmeg has sweet taste.
D. Nutmeg has shape Ellipsodial.
7. Which of the following is not a use of nutmeg ?
B. Flavouring agent
8. Which of the following is synonymous of nutmeg ?
A. Nux vomica
D. Nux moschata
9. Which of the following is correct sequence of the cultivation and Collection of Nutmeg ?
a.Transplanted at 6 months old plant
b.To mature for about 20-30 year
c.Germinated in 5 weeks
d.When ripe expose the seed with its lobed red arillus 2 or 3 caps are collected annual.
10. Match the following
i. Fat A 5
ii. Volatile oil B 30
iii. Myristic C 4-8%
iv. Germinated D 60%
A.i →A ii→ C iii →D iv→ B
B.i →B ii→ C iii →D iv→ A
C. i →B ii→ C iii →D iv→ A
D.i →D ii→ C iii →B iv→ A
16 Edition trease and Evans Pharmacognosy (pg.no.281 and 282)
MYRISTICA FRAGRANS: A COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW
This information is taken only for education purpose.